Thursday, September 30, 2010

A Little Backstory..

pic

So I figured I should give a little back story to what Blackbird Attic is! In the late winter I was given the opportunity to take over a store location. The racks and everything in the store were to be mine. Sounded like a pretty great deal as I had some savings and it was my dream to own a boutique. The transition wasn't as simple as hoped, but the store did become mine and I worked/am still working to make it into Blackbird Attic.

The basic concept is that it's a consignment boutique. If you don't know what consignment is, it essentially means that people bring me items and they get a percentage of the sale. My idea was to carry previously owned clothing/ accessories/ etc as well as some handmade items. I've started to add in handmade items, but at this point it's primarily clothing - new and vintage. The vintage part has picked up recently as I've been really seeking it out and dedicated 2 racks to vintage clothing only.

Above is a window display from the spring, pretty soon after I opened. The flowers are made from recycled plastic bottles and spray paint. The mannequins have child drawn cat faces because I did a kitten adoption event to support the local Community Cat Coalition ; ). I guess that pic was taken after I took down the paper grass, birds, clouds, etc. It was pretty cute!


pic

Here is a shot of my friend scaring children away ... but besides that, it's a window that was done by The Ladies Auxiliary for Beacon's annual Windows on Main. They did a really great job but it kind of made people think I sold antiques/furniture (a lot of places in Beacon do).

Basically it's been a process making Blackbird Attic into exactly what I want it to be, but it's a fun project at that! I'll have to get a shot of the windows at the moment.. They aren't completely done, but my boyfriend put his handy work into them.

4 comments:

jesse.anne.o said...

I love that Beacon has a TNR group! Yes!

I wish you were open when I was in Beacon. Hopefully I'll be back again soonish.

Blackbird Attic said...

Ah are you from Beacon/just visited Beacon?

jesse.anne.o said...

Just visited! I live in Brooklyn but we always *mean* to visit more so hopefully soon. It's so nice there.

Blackbird Attic said...

Yeah, I moved here from Brooklyn last December. Beacon is definitely a nice get away from the city!

Related Posts with Thumbnails