Thursday, April 7, 2011

Finds & Fabrics

Yesterday my sister and I made the journey to Long Island to visit a store called The Watermelon Patch that my sewing teacher recommended for vintage fabrics. They are moving locations and have a 50% off sale on all fabrics. Sadly I forgot to bring my camera to the store to capture the hundreds of vintage trinkets and jewelry I was not expecting.. but I did take some shots of my finds today.

I couldn't help but pick up the ornaments seen below. I love the colors and their cute little retro faces.

pic

I dug through piles of fabric and chose based on what I thought were the most unique and "like me". The neon sailboat fabric I'm not sure is vintage (80's? or it could be more recent) but I couldnt pass it up. I think it will make a nice fun top. The fabric on the left is patterned with some of my favorite things like tea, jam,.. and pickles! I think it will make a perfect tea time dress, which by the way, I am bringing back. Tea time that is. There have already been a few tea parties at my house and there will be more. Lastly, the awesome zoo/lion print fabric on the bottom is very child-like and would make a lovely dress for a child, if I had a child, but instead I will wear it, because I like it.

pic

Below are my sister's final picks which also get my approval.

pic

So as I mentioned above, my sewing teacher recommended I visit Watermelon Patch for vintage fabrics. I'm probably getting a bit ahead of myself considering I haven't even finished my first dress, but that's what I do. Sewing is both easier and harder than I anticipated. I am trying to make the dress in the pattern below...

pic

Here is what I have so far. All .. 12 or so hours of it. It's coming together though..really it is. See if you don't know anything about sewing, let me explain a little. You get this tissue pattern and have to cut it out perfectly to your size. Then you have to pin it perfectly on your perfectly lined up fabric and perfectly cut it out. This takes awhile. And will not be perfect when you're finished. From there you have to line more things up and try to sew a straight line. Oh. There is also a lot of pressing (ironing for you non sewers, except it's not the same, okay) to do. I have to say.. I love love my bird house fabric. I am really hoping the dress comes out okay, but then again, it is the first clothing piece I have ever made, so I have to have some pride either way. Even though it takes so long (and is not necessarily cheaper than just buying a dress), I like that I am learning a new skill and accomplishing something rather than wasting my life away a little more on the internet. I hope to slowly achieve a closet full of handmade pieces and maybe even sell something..one day.

pic

And I also wanted to share a photo of a few jewelry pieces I made the other day. I guess I have somewhat of an entrepreneurial spirit because I used to have my own little jewelry company and from that, I still have many a bead left over. I am a big fan of gemstones, in their raw form especially, although the faceted is nice for a more elegant clean look. I thought I would make some simple and wearable pieces. My friend has already claimed the middle two, but there will be more! Find them at the store for $7 a pop. The long beaded boho-esque necklace is priced very reasonably as well at only $16.

pic

And don't forget...Disaster Life show tomorrow, 6-9pm. Stop by to enjoy some art, snacks and wine!



pic

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails