Thursday, December 30, 2010

Behind The Scenes

So I did manage to get some shots in with Madison before my camera died (although the battery charger is still missing in action). I wanted to show a sort of behind the scenes with her. I found this backdrop paper and stand on Craigslist for a good price. This was my first time trying it out and ideally it would be wider, but I guess that's what cropping is for! When I looked for the seamless paper, I also looked for lights, but found that they're quite expensive, and just too far out of my budget, even for the older lights. I also don't have a whole lot of space at the shop, we tried to do this while customers shopped around us, haha. So basically I am at the mercy of the sunlight or lack there of, and the rest is made up with Photoshop editing.

Before-
pic

Once upon a time I wanted to be a graphic designer, back when I would make artsy graphics and avatars and graphic design was the new hot thing (wow that kind of ages me, but what's weirder is to imagine a world without so much computer generated design). Since then, I am not as in practice. I learned a few years ago that in Photoshop you can use Levels (under Image>Adjustments) to kind of fix the lighting if it's too dark or add some darkness for contrast (for some reason it works better than just changing the brightness/contrast.. I think). For my pictures lately, I have been using Auto Tone and Auto Contrast quite a bit. You'd be surprised the difference it makes with my photos because I have yellow lighting in my store that doesn't always make things look so pretty. I also sometimes use Auto Color although it doesn't always look as accurate. Besides that, I might Filter>Sharpen to give it more crispness.

After-
pic

The above photo didnt need a ton of work in my opinion, besides I really shouldnt have had that sunlight in the photo, but I am not a pro, okay!? I wanted to lighten it a bit more, but then her face was getting too white. I'm sure I could individually select her skin/head, but that is getting complicated for all the photos I have to edit. I am still learning, so if anyone has some tips for me, please feel free to pass them along!

A lot of people use different filters/actions on images to make them look vintage and I am interested in learning how to do that as well, although I wouldn't use this effect for clothing I am going to sell because it wouldn't truly represent them.

So anyway, I am editing pictures and getting a few items up on Etsy! Will post more about that soon.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails